Saturday, 9 August 2014

Stacking the Shelves [#7] – Magic, Dreams and Peculiar Things

This was supposed to be uploaded two weeks ago, but I hadn’t scheduled the post and then my internet connection thwarted my plans. But, anyways, here it is now.


Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Silber – Das zweite Buch der Träume by Kerstin Gier

I bought Miss Peregrine’s mainly because of the 10% BookTubeAThon discount. I wasn’t sure whether I’d be interested in the story, but I’m sure about one thing: The get-up of this book is stunning! Fancy endpapers, vintage photographs, coloured pages for each chapter beginning, small ornaments at the bottom of each page, and, on top of that, the book looks even better when stripped off its dust-jacket.


I didn’t go to one of Kerstin Gier’s signings, instead I got a signed sticker + authograph that she offered to send to her readers on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. Yey! 
If you’re curious: This is the second book in her new young adult trilogy revolving around dreams. According to Goodreads, the translated version is due to be published by Henry Holt & Co. under the name of “Dream a Little Dream” in January. I didn’t enjoy the first book as much as her Ruby Red trilogy, but it’s still an entertaining story.


The Unwritten Vol. 3: Dead Man’s Knock by Mike Carey, Peter Gross and Ryan Kelly
Y: The Last Man Vol. 2: Cycles by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra and José Marzán, Jr.

The one thing I really dislike about comics is that it takes me forever to finish a series. Either because they are ongoing to all eternity (I commend the satisfaction of finishing a standalone book ...) or because I simply cannot afford to buy every single volume at a blow. The latter applies to these two comics, for I wholeheartedly enjoy reading them.


Concealed behind this beautiful wrapping is Holly Black and Cassandra Clare’s new novel, Magisterium: The Iron Trial! I was sent this by the lovely people at Random House Children’s Publishers UK. As you’ll know if you’re seen my August TBR, I intend to reviewing this sometime over the next few weeks – hopefully very soon, as I’m excited to see how I’ll like it!

Are there any books you recently acquired? Any thoughts on the books and comics I bought? And what do you think about Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children: A captivating story or lovely pictures, but nothing behind it?

11 comments:

  1. I liked Miss Peregrine's book, but it wasn't exactly what I'd expected. But worth the read. And I love The Dream Thieves. I loved Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red trilogy, and I have an e-galley of her newest to read. Great haul!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh – before writing this blog post, I had no idea that the publishing rights for Kerstin Gier’s new book had been sold, yet alone that it’s already in circulation! That’s exciting. It’ll be interesting to see what readers overseas are going to think about it! :)
      I’m sure I’m going to love The Dream Thieves as well!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to start the Ravens Boys series. One day soon. Great haul enjoy your reads :) Oh, and thanks about my STS graphic. I think I'll stick with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly enjoyed the first book in the Raven Cycle, so I hope you’ll read it soon! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Aww, "The Dream Thieves" und "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" sind echt gut! Da wünsch ich dir viel Spaß mit. Die Aufmachung ist einfach wahnsinnig toll. Den zweiten Band von "Silber" hab ich fürs erste mal gestrichen, weil ich "Das erste Buch der Träume" nicht sooo gerne mochte. Aber das Bild mit Kerstin Gier ist ja wirklich süß :DD

    Liebe Grüße,
    Bramble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich hoffe, ich komme im September „The Dream Thieves“ zu lesen, sodass ich dann im Oktober „Blue Lily, Lily Blue” weitermachen kann! :)

      Kerstin Gier ist schon irgendwie knorke. :D Ich glaube, ich warte lieber bis der letzte Teil der Silberreihe erschienen ist, bevor ich damit weitermache (aber natürlich musste ich ihn jetzt schon kaufen, ist klar) ... Vielleicht sagen mir die Bücher mehr zu, wenn ich sie alle in einem Zug durchlese. So habe ich es damals auch mit der Edelsteintrilogie gemacht, mit der ich anfangs aufgrund des eher infantilen Schreibstils auch nicht zurechtkam.

      Delete
  4. Oh lovely! I'd be hesitant to open that package! :)

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I was. Thanks, you too! ;p

      Delete
  5. I want to read the Dream Thives so badly. I went to the bookstore and almost picked it up but went for Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian instead. Idk why :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE DREAM THIEVES -- *flails* Oh, Lina, I really hope you love that one. It was one of my favorite reads last year, and I thought it was a LOT better than The Raven Boys, mostly because the storyline became more fleshed out, and I was able to appreciate the characters (particularly Ronan) a lot more. Which reminds me, I totally need to get my own copies of TRB and TDT...

    Miss Peregrine's Home is another book I desperately want to read as well. I agree, the book is beautiful! I love the cover, and I've flipped through it before and seen some pictures and I love how atmospheric everything is. Didn't know there were colored pages, though, but it makes me want to order it now. Must. Control. Self. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

    Gosh, the wrapping for Cassie Clare's and Holly Black's new book is gorgeous. Most of the time I pretty much just rip open any envelopes or packages I receive, but this one will be special. Don't even know if I'll open it if I'd received it. :P (Can you tell I form attachments very quickly?)

    Have fun with all your new books, Lina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh, very nice haul!! I really want to read Miss Peregrine's Home and The Dream Thieves. Everyone's read them but me!! Happy Reading <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)