Saturday, 23 August 2014

Stacking the Shelves [#8] – Harry Potter, a Classic and a Comic


Another week, another stack of books! This time, I managed to restrain myself … a bit. I received two of my preorders as well as three other books. I already read three of these, which is nice for a change.

Alex + Ada Vol. 1 by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

These are my preorders. I’ve already read and reviewed Alex + Ada and I enjoyed it. Having read The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes a week ago, I really want to check out Madame Bovary, as Barnes seems to be quite a bit obsessed with Flaubert

Harry Potter’s 34th birthday was on the 31st of July, so I had this intense craving to buy something related to Harry Potter. Truth be told, because of Rowling’s new short story I’d hoped there would be a big anouncement about a possible new book on the 31st. I know it’s unlikely to happen, but I won’t give up hope. Ever.

From the Library of Hogwarts: Quidditch Through the Ages + Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J. K. Rowling 

I’ve already read these, and I highly recommend this boxed set by Scholastic! As I mentioned in my review, the box is very sturdy and pretty much indestructible. I also prefer these covers over the Bloomsbury ones and I already own The Tales of Beedle the Bard, so it made the most sense to buy this edition.

Harry Potter Film Wizardry

This legitimately has to be one of the most amazing books that I own, and the fact that I’d lived without it for so long is atrocious! It contains several props from the movies, which are of a fine quality, and the whole getup of it is beautiful. I can’t say too much about the content yet, because I’ve only read a couple of pages, but it seems interesting enough. The 26€ I paid would’ve been well invested for the Marauder’s Map alone. 
If you’re thinking about buying this book, I’d recommend you not to check out videos/pictures about it, as it’s more fun discovering for yourself which props it contains.

So, have you read any of these books/comics? Don’t you think the Film Wizardry book is absolutely amazing?

6 comments:

  1. I'm loving the look of Madame Bovary. Where did you get that from???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the Penguin Clothbound Classics edition, which are by far my favourite book editions. They all look so lovely!

      Delete
  2. Die Clothbound Classics finde ich ebenfalls unglaublich hübsch! Davon liebäugle ich bereits seit geraumer Zeit mit den Dickens Büchern.
    Aww, Harry Potter habe ich gerade wieder begonnen :D

    Liebe Grüße,
    Bramble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, die solltest du dir unbedingt zulegen!! Ich besitze „Great Expectations“ und „Bleak House“ in der Ausgabe, vor allem letzteres ist ein absolutes Schmuckstück! :) Ich wünsche mir die Clothbound Classics normalerweise immer von Familie und Freunden zu besonderen Anlässen, sodass ich mir peu à peu eine Sammlung aufbauen kann, ohne den teureren Preis ggü. einer Taschenbuchausgabe mit meinem Gewissen (+ Portemonnaie) vereinbaren zu müssen. ;p

      Ich arbeite mich gerade langsam durch das „Film Wizardry“-Buch. Demnächst ist bei mir auch definitiv wieder ein HP Reread angesagt, um dem baldigen Unistress etwas entgegenzuwirken und mich auf die kältere Jahreszeit einzustimmen.

      Delete
    2. Das ist tolle Herbst/Winter Bücher, mit denen man sich so richtig schön verkriechen und stundenlang lesen kann :D
      Au ja, Weihnachten und Geburtstag fallen be mir auch immer die etwas teueren Bücher an xD

      Delete
  3. That HP Film Wizardry book looks amazing! I am already itching to get my hands on a copy, just from what you wrote and the Rita Skeeter page- so much detail and it looks really nicely done. I'll have to see if my library has a copy in their system! Thank you for making me want to check it out so much! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this blog post! :)